The Villa on Mount Pleasant

Lifestyle, vintage home and decorative crafts...

Tuesday 24 November 2015

Styling The Seasons - November


Hello everyone!

I'm so unbelievably excited to share this month's Styling The Seasons post with you.  I had an idea which direction I wanted to take it, and I'm so happy with the finished result.  This month the challenge was to make a seasonal flat lay.  (What on earth is flat lay?  A flat lay is simply an image taken from above with objects laid out flat.)  There is a competition this month to win a Makelight photographic styling course with the amazing Emily Quinton, something I've been desperate to do for a while.  Emily is a real inspiration to me, and her photography is utterly divine.

I knew I wanted to style my flat lay with a different feel from my usual photography.  Regular readers of this blog will know that I love light, bright pictures, often with a pastel feel.  This month I wanted to go darker and moodier.  In a reflection of what has been a tough month at work and at home with a fair bit of juggling involved, it is heavy on blue and purple hues - normally I would lighten all the shadows up but this time I left them in and even accentuated them to add a touch of drama.  The berries were foraged on a walk in the woods near my house.  Amongst the items are an old pocket watch and a thimble, which represent my longing for more time to do the things I really love.  The gorgeous old mini baking tins, trinkets and vintage buckles are all treasure found at my beloved car boot fairs.  I love the final picture because it really sums up what I'm about at this time of year - darker but with a touch of sparkle.

There are some absolutely beautiful and inspiring flat lays over on Instagram - you can search for them using the hashtag #STSXMAKELIGHT.  You can also head over to Katy's blog Apartment Apothecary and Charlotte at Lotts and Lots to see lots of other beautiful and inspiring Styling The Seasons posts, or by searching the hashtag #StylingTheSeasons on Instagram.  Why not join in on Instagram by styling your own flat lay according to what this month means to you?  There's still time!  (Don't forget to use the hashtag!). 

Tamsyn x
Share:

1 comment

  1. This is too beautiful for words, Tamsyn! That blue is divine and I love all of the lovely pieces you have collected for the flat lay. I love everything about it xx

    ReplyDelete

© The Villa on Mount Pleasant | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig